Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Color Restoration

Usually when I am scanning old pictures for people I will come across photos that just look like junk...they are so blurry or overexposed or whatever that I think it not worth it to scan them.  I don't want to charge people for something that has obviously no value.  But recently I've decided that you just can't judge an old picture by the way it looks.  Here are two examples of photos that I recently scanned and used "Color Restoration" on.  While the edited projects are by no means award-winning photos, they are definitely a big improvement over the originals.  And you can definitely see details in the picture that might make these photos valuable to someone who is looking for memories of a particular relative.  So, before you throw something out consider giving it one try on the digital scanner!  Most scanners offer color restoration as an option.


Here is the first one.  I did a tiny bit of editing on the man because there was some kind of sticker on his face but other than that this is purely the result of the color restoration.  Nice, don't you think?

Here is the second one.  I really didn't think this had any chance of working.

 Again, the finished product certainly has problems, but if this were my aunt and uncle or my grandparents I would be glad to have this picture.  You can really see her expression, and you can tell that it is clearly a celebration outside.

I hope this is inspiring you to go to the attic or the closet and start working your way through those boxes of old pictures you have stuck in the back.  There may be some real photographic treasures in there somewhere!

Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment